Don't you hate it when you're cutting some really nice wood and you leave burn marks?
I hate it too, especially when it's with exotic wood for a special project. Trying to sand it off is just a pain. Frustrating.
So we decided to put together this awesome guide on the best woodworking jigsaws. This will help reduce the chances of all those burns with a jigsaw that can stand up to those demanding projects!
Best Woodworking Jigsaw
There are different types of jigsaw in all different sizes. When you need a versatile and handy saw, you can't beat having a jigsaw in your workshop. Especially if you work with wood a lot.
Here are a few tips on what to look for in a good woodworking jigsaw and a few reviews to help you start shopping.
Important Woodworking JigSaw Fundamentals
Types of Woodworking Jigsaws
- Corded Jigsaws – Corded jigsaws are ideal for a heavy duty woodworking project giving you lots of power for long periods of time. If you need a lot of wood cut each day, this is the best option for your needs.
- Cordless Jigsaws – The very versatile cordless jigsaws are beneficial for their small size and how easy they are to carry around. You can easily take them out to your work site since they are lighter weight and less clumsy.
- Pneumatic Jigsaws – Powered by an air compressor, a pneumatic jigsaw are the most powerful jigsaw you can purchase. Even though they give you a great amount of power, they are generally way more than most people need.
Woodworking Jigsaw Features
- Power Source - Power is one of the most important features of any power tool. You can produce more work at a faster rate with the more power that you have. Jigsaws that have the most power tend to be corded, however, cordless jigsaws can also give you a good amount of power, just for a shorter amount of time.
- Speed - The variable speed feature helps you get more accurate cuts and more control over your project. A single speed jigsaw can get a good amount of sawing done, but your flexibility expands with the addition of a variable speed feature. And, once you find the best sawing speed, you can save it with the lock-on button that most models provide.
- Blades - The size of your blade makes a big difference in the quality of the cut you will get. If it is the wrong size, the saw will underperform. The more teeth on a saw blade, the slower and smoother the cut will be, the fewer teeth it has, the faster and coarser the cut will be.
- Pendulum Motion - The really cool feature of a woodworking jigsaw is the pendulum motion or action. The jigsaw moves away from the material as the blade performs an up to down motion and then into the material on the down to up motion. Having this oscillating movement is ideal when you are cutting wood as it stops the blade from sticking in the middle of sawing.
- Strokes Per Minute - The speed of the jigsaw is shown in strokes per minute and the most common speed is a maximum speed of 3000 SPM. That is fast enough, if not more than you need, for the most common sawing projects.
- Blade Guide System - The speed of the jigsaw is shown in strokes per minute and the most common speed is a maximum speed of 3000 SPM. That is fast enough, if not more than you need, for the most common sawing projects.
- Tool-less Blade Clamps - This feature is a definite must have for your jigsaw. Tool-less blade changes use a lever that makes blades changes quick and easy. This feature can help keep you from touching a hot blade after long-term use.
- Tilting Footplate - When you can adjust the jigsaw’s footplate angle, the saw is able to make bevel cuts. It is also handy if the jigsaw allows tool-less angle changes by using a lever that locks and releases the footplate quickly and easily.
- Dust Collection and Dust Blowers - Not all saws include them but dust blowers can be very useful to keep your cutting line clean of dust and debris that can cause you to cut a crooked line or even have an accident. You want to make sure that you can see everything you are doing to improve your accuracy and having a mechanism that can either blow dust out of the way or collects it is a great feature for a saw.
- Angle Base Plate - This is an adjustable plate that you can slant at any angle to give you angled cuts.
- Laser-Guided Assistance - For more precise cuts, some jigsaws include a laser guide pointer. Most of the time, though, you can get just as good a cut by using your eye.
- Safety - A safety mechanism is another feature you want to make sure your jigsaw has. You want a safeguard that locks the jigsaw blades and turns the saw off which can save your life or at least an appendage or two.
- Orbital Setting - One of the more important features to consider when buying a jigsaw is the orbital setting. Since the jigsaw moves in a slanted back and forth manner, using the orbital setting lets you move the saw in a slightly circular fashion. The sawing process, especially tough material, are easier to cut and it prevents chipping the material you are working on.
When you use the orbital setting, you get a smooth cutting finish without as many chips, particularly on material like plywood. Many jigsaws also have a setting where you can lock the SPM plus the orbital setting in place so you can get the best combination for the project you are working on.
The Best Woodworking Jigsaw Reviews
Here's a brief summary of the best jigsaws for woodworking on the market today. We'll follow up with detailed woodworking jigsaw reviews to make your decision easier.
The Black & Decker BDEJS300C Jig Saw is what you want to have on hand for tough projects. With its well-known name, the Black & Decker BDEJS300C and its 4.5 amp motor is a powerful and fast cutting jigsaw that cuts through a variety of materials. It also has a lightweight and compact body that allows you to easily maneuver the saw as you work
The Black & Decker BDCJS20B Lithium Jigsaw features portability and versatility that is as powerful as a corded saw. With the variable speed trigger and 45-degree bevel shoe, you have a lot of versatility ad control. It also features tool-free blade changes and a dust blower that is built-in.
The Bosch JS470EB Jigsaw is powerful, but easy to use, jigsaw with a powerful 7.0 amp motor and Constant Response™ circuitry that allows you to maintain your desired speed under load. Its ergonomic body with upfront soft-grip gives you the most control and comfort while blade changes are easy and tool-free. This is a low-vibration design that gives you smoother and precise operation.
The Bosch JS470E 120-Volt 7.0-Amp Top-Handle Jigsaw also features a 7.0 amp motor and features a tool-less blade change system. It differs with its industrial design and sturdy cast aluminum footplate that makes ideal for tough job sites. This is a good choice if you are a professional or do woodworking as a hobby.
The DeWalt DW331K 6.5 Amp Top-Handle Jigsaw gives you innovation as well as power and precision. It features a counterbalance mechanism that includes a rubber grip to lessen vibrations and to keep you in control of your project and prevents user fatigue.
The DeWalt DCS331B 20-Volt MAX Li-Ion Jigsaw features a metal keyless blade that makes blade changes fast and simple. It also gives you more versatility with several bevel settings with the metal keyless shoe. It also accepts T-shank jigsaw blades when you need professional looking results.
The Makita 4329K 3.9 Amp Variable-Speed Top-Handle Jigsaw has a compact design that is ideal for both professionals and do it yourselfers. With a powerful 3.9 amp motor and a variable-speed control dial, you have the versatility to work on a variety of project and materials. You also have fewer vibrations and improved comfort with the counterweight balancing system.
The Porter-Cable PCE345 6-Amp Orbital Jigsaw uses an integrated trigger that gives you multiple speed settings for the best results. You also get four orbital settings that give you plenty of cutting versatility in a variety of materials, and the lock-on button gives you more control during long term use lessening user fatigue.
The Ryobi P523 Cordless 18V One Plus Lithium-Ion Orbital Jigsaw has a few upgraded features to give you better performance and more value for your money. Even though it is a cordless jigsaw, it has the power of a corded jig saw while you enjoy the convenience of a portable tool. With the patented BladeSaver™ innovation, you will get the most use from every blade due to the drop base design that lets you adjust the base to make sure to use any unused teeth allowing for optimum blade use.
The Skil 4495-02 6.0 Amp Orbital Action Laser Jigsaw give you both precision and power with its 6.0 amp motor and the variable speed trigger that makes it easy to adjust your speed to the cut you want to make. With the unique stable foot design, you have more control when you begin a cut, so you will no longer have to endure ragged cuts.
Top Woodworking Jigsaw Reviews
For tough tasks, you want a well-known brand name like the Black & Decker BDEJS300C 4.5 amp jig saw. It features a motor with 4.5 amps that will give enough power to get finish tough projects. This is a fast cutting jigsaw with variable speeds up to 3,000 SPM that can cut through metal, wood, or plastic with a ¾ inch stroke length.
With an improved wire guard, the sight line channel has increased visibility and improves cutting accuracy. The lightweight body and compact handle allow you to maneuver the tool easily with fewer vibrations.
It also allows you to make bevel cuts of up to 45 degrees with a base plate that tilts, and the quick-clamp lets you make tool-free blade changes. Cutting stability is maintained with the adjustable shoe and the included dust blower help you to keep a clean work area for improved visibility and safety.
- Great for small projects
- Fits old style blades as well as new styles
- Hard to engage the trigger button, it's too small
- Not so good for heavy duty projects
Versatility and portability are featured in the Black and Decker BDCJS20B Lithium Jigsaw Bare Tool. It has a strong motor that gives you 2500 SPM with the handiness of a cordless saw.
Plus it features tool free blade changes that lessen your down time while you work. The dust blower is built-in and wire guard keep your line of sight clean. Clear marking detailed cuts easier and keeping your safer.
The Black & Decker BDCJS20B is perfect for accurate, detailed cuts that can be used for many different projects. You get increased control with the variable speed trigger and the 45-degree bevel shoe capacity allows for angled cuts in either direction. Plus the BDCJS20B takes both U and T shank blades.
- Battery life is fantastic
- Very comfortable and ergonomically designed
- Build quality is impressive
- Doesn't come with a battery
- Doesn't use screw-fixed blades
For a lot of power and ease of use, you need to check out the Bosch JS470EB Jigsaw that features a powerful variable speed, 7.0 Amp motor. With Constant Response™ circuitry, the Bosch JS470EB can maintain your desired speed under load.
The upfront soft-grip area provides the ergonomic body with maximum control and comfort. Blade changing is quick and easy with a tool-less blade-change system that offers fast insertion, and the blade ejection lever makes it so you never have to touch a hot blade again.
The Bosch JS470EB Jigsaw also features an ambidextrous lock-on button that lets you make long solid cuts, and it includes a large, durable die-cast foot with a steel insert, plus an on-board bevel wrench. The multi-directional blade clamp gives you a great grip on the T-shank blades with an adjustable dust blower that keeps your cutting line clean and safe.
The accurate plunging system has a low-vibration design that gives you improved precision and smooth operation. With four orbital-action settings, you have different blade strokes for aggressive and smooth cuts.
The ergonomic top handle includes soft-grip areas for a comfortable and solid grip. The variable speed dial lets you set your maximum speed while the accelerator trigger controls your operating speed.
- Comes with a really long cord
- Very smooth cutting and quiet
- Easy to control with the wide base
- Barrel grip takes a little bit to get used to
- Some people find the line of site to be poor
Much like the Bosch JS470EB, the Bosch JS470E has a 7.0 amp motor and features a tool-less blade-change system. It also offers durability, accuracy, and power with its sturdy cast aluminum footplate and industrial design. It works well on the toughest job sites, even a drop where it lands on a footplate arm.
The Bosch JS470E is a good choice for a professional or a do it yourselfer. The 7.0 amp motor has a no load SMP range from 500 through 3,100 and up to 60 hertz. It can cut wood up to 5 7/8 inches, aluminum up to 7/8 inch, and mild steel up to 3/8 inch. It also has a maximum bevel cut angle of 45 degrees.
The Constant Response Circuitry allows you to maintain your desired speed so your performance and speed can stay consistent. You can also adjust between four orbital-action settings that let you find the correct blade stroke to make aggressive and smooth cuts.
With an ambidextrous lock-on button and a variable speed-dial, the Bosch JS470E gives you lots of flexibility in the projects you choose. You also no longer have to touch a hot blade with the Bosch JS470E and its tool-less blade ejection lever, plus machine’s plunging system is precision machined with a low-vibration design that improves precision and smooth operation.
Added features include an adjustable dust blower that keeps your cutting line clear and safe while the ergonomic top handle keeps your grip comfortable so you can keep on working without getting tired. This Bosch JS470E also includes a non-marring overshoe, plus an insert that is anti-splinter insert, a bevel wrench, a blade, and a carrying case.
- Really smooth to use
- Sturdy, well-engineered tool
- Relatively quiet and cutting cleanly and evenly
- Needs a LED light
- Doesn't make perpendicular cuts
When you want precision, power, and innovation, the DeWalt DW331K will not disappoint with its 6.5 amp motor that gives you all the power you need for those tough projects. This easy to use jigsaw has a variable speed control found in the trigger and dial that lets you make fast, precise cuts.
The positive bevel detents of the commonly used angles are found on the shoe so you can make quick adjustments as you work.
The DeWalt DW331K also features a counterbalance mechanism plus a rubber grip to lessen vibrations and to keep you in control of your project. It has a speed range of 500 to 3,100 SPM and the flush-cutting blade system lets you make flush cuts without actually cutting.
Since this is an application specific performance saw, it has a four-position orbital action so you make more aggressive and faster cuts. It also has a one-inch stroke length, plus it has positive bevel detents at 0 degrees, 15 degrees, 30 degrees, and 45 degrees making adjustments quick and easy for commonly used angles.
Weighing only 6.4 pounds, the easy to move jigsaw uses an metal gear case to make it durable and sturdy so it can even be used in a shop environment. With extra-large rubber grip softens vibrations improving your comfort and lessening user fatigue so you can work longer and produce more work.
Additional features include an integrated dust blower that keeps your work surface clear of debris for better precision and safety. It also is ideal for working on more delicate materials with its plastic, non-marring shoe cover protects either glossy or soft material from getting unwanted scratches.
When you are working on a variety of specialty materials, you will need to use different blades to make more aggressive cuts. The DeWalt has a tool-free blade clamps that let you make fast blade changes securely with metal blade levers for additional durability.
- Powerful and easy to use
- It gives you a lot of flexibility
- Strong and built really well
- Flush cuts require a special blade
- Some people have problems with blade retention
If you like a quick and simple blade change, the Dewalt DCS331B features a metal keyless blade that allows you to make fast and simple blade changes. The Dewalt also features an metal keyless shoe bevel that includes detents at 0 degrees, 15 degrees, 30 degrees, and 45 degrees giving your more versatility to make bevel cutting easy. The Dewalt DCS331B also takes T-shank jigsaw blades when you need professional looking results.
The Dewalt DCS331B also includes a four position orbital action that gives you control of your speed and cut quality. Plus it has a variable speed between 0 – 3,000 SPM so you can make cuts in a variety of materials and projects.
Other features include an adjustable dust blower that keeps your cut line clear for accuracy and safety. And an anti-slip comfort grip that gives you more control and comfort lessening use fatigue. for increased comfort and control.
- Will run all day on one battery
- Blade changes are really easy
- Great variable speed control
- Have to buy battery and charger separately
- Tilting plate is a little tricky to get to release
The Makita 4329K is ergonomically designed for control and comfort. With its compact design, it only weighs 4.2 pounds and makes it the perfect saw for both professionals and do it yourselfers. The Makita 4329K has a powerful 3.9 amp motor plus a variable-speed control dial giving you between 500 - 3,100 SPM for the optimum cutting performance for a variety of materials.
With the die-cast aluminum base, you can make bevel cuts 45 degrees right or left and have a positive stop at 90 degrees for even more versatility while the three orbital settings allow you to make straight cuts you do over and over.
Additional features include a dust port that gives you necessary dust management that uses a vacuum and clear dust cover. You also have fewer vibrations and improved comfort with the counterweight balancing system . The a large trigger switch making operation easy, plus it includes a lock-on button for extended use.
- Comes in a nice case and includes a blade
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Easily cuts straight lines and 2 x 4's
- Doesn't come with a blade clamp or a LED light
- Resetting the base with the blade to 90 degrees isn't easy
When you want a lot of versatility, you need a jigsaw and integrated trigger that gives you multiple speed setting for the best results. The Porter-Cable PCE3456 is designed with a seven position speed dial with between 0-3200 rpm and a 6 Amp motor giving you more power for those difficult cutting projects.
The four orbital settings give you plenty of cutting versatility in a variety of materials, and the lock-on button gives you more control during long term use lessening user fatigue. The oversized front and handle over mold allows you more control and comfort while you use the PCE3456.
The tool-free blade change makes blade changes quick and easy taking less time so you can get back to work.
- Plenty of power, comes with a tool-less blade replacement
- Well-built, easy to use
- Lightweight, cuts a straight line easily
- No dust guard, dusts get in your face
- Finger switch is too sensitive
With some upgraded features, the Ryobi P523 can give you more performance and value than it ever has. With P523 features a powerful motor that can only be compared to a corded jig saw, but it also offers the convenience of a portable tool.
With the patented BladeSaver™ innovation, you will get the most use from every blade due to the drop base design that lets you adjust the base to make sure to use any unused teeth allowing for optimum blade use.
The Ryobi P523 has a variable speed between 1,100 – 3,000 SPM and let you perform true flush cutting up to a vertical surface. The tool-less blade clamp allows you to make fast and simple blade changes, and the sight line blower keeps your cutting line clear of debris.
With the combination of all the P523’s cutting capabilities and its BladeSaver™ innovation, this is a tool that every woodworking would be thrilled to own.
- Very handy, great for home projects
- Cordless, variable speed is great feature
- Easily makes quick and precise cuts
- Doesn't come with a battery or charger
- No on-board blade storage
When you need precision and power for your projects, then Skil 4495-02 is a jigsaw worth checking out. Whether it is smooth or fast, the four position orbital cut control allows you to choose the cut type that you want.
And the cut lines will be easy to see with the laser guide that is built-in.
The Skil 4495-02 has a powerful 6.0 amp motor and the variable speed trigger makes it easy to adjust your speed to the cut you want to make. With the unique stable foot design, you have more control when you begin a cut, so you will no longer have to endure ragged cuts.
Plus, the custom molded tool rest is design to stop the blade from damaging any of the material you are working on.
- Great saw for the price
- Easy to set up and easy to use
- Variable speed option is great for beginners
- Can only get a straight cut in one direction
- Laser guide really doesn't help much, a LED light would work better
What is the Best Woodworking Jigsaw to Buy?
Our favorite of the Best Woodworking Jigsaw Roundup is the Makita 4329K 3.9 Amp Variable-Speed Top-Handle Jigsaw. It has a compact and ergonomic design that improves both control and your comfort while using it for long periods of time.
This Makita jigsaw also has a powerful 3.9 amp motor with a variable-speed control dial that gives you between 500 - 3,100 SPM for the optimum cutting performance for a variety of materials.
Bevel cuts are not a problem with the die-cast aluminum base that lets you make bevel cuts 45 degrees right or left and have a positive stop at 90 degrees for even more versatility while the three orbital settings allow you to make straight cuts you do over and over.
Other features include a counterweight balancing system to improve comfort and allow for fewer vibrations as well as a dust port that gives you necessary dust management that uses a vacuum and clear dust cover. The favorite of the Best Woodworking Jigsaw Roundup is the Makita 4329K 3.9 for good reason.