A circular saw is one of those tools that should be a staple in any tool collection. It's capable of cutting all types of materials besides wood including steel, masonry, and ceramic tile making it a very versatile tool for any DIYer or professional.
When you're asking yourself what is the best corded circular saw to buy, make sure to do your research, and find all the new designs and qualities that circular saws on the market today are featuring. Here are a few reviews and tips on what to look for in the best corded circular saw for your needs.
Best Corded Circular Saw Guide
When you're looking for the best circular saw for the money, you need to know what features are available. Only then can you decide which features meet your needs the best, so you'll know what is the best circular saw for you.
Important Circular Saw Buying Tips
Circular saws have standard components to help them make fast, straight cuts across wood, along the length of the wood, or to create bevel cuts.
- Shoe or foot plate that is used to keep the saw steady against the wood
- Depth adjustment which lets the saw work on wood of different thicknesses
- Bevel adjustment will let the foot plate tilt so that the blade can create bevel cuts.
- Blade guard shields the blade when it is not being used, and withdraws to reveal the blade when it is being used
Circular saws come in several sizes which are determined by their blade diameter. The most common are the 5-1/2 to 7-1/4 inch blades, but you should pick your saw dependent on your needs.
The most common type of saw you'll see is the sidewinder or inline saws. Sidewinder saws are more lightweight and compact than the worm drive saws, plus they are more suitable for most circular saw jobs.
Worm drive saws are a little different than sidewinders saws in that their motors are at a right angle from their saw blade. Torque is increased through gears in their motor to move the blade, so it is a great saw for heavy-duty jobs. They are also longer than the sidewinder saw, plus they are also quieter.
Cordless circular saws are obviously more convenient when you are working somewhere where cords will be difficult to get around. They're also smaller and more compact than traditional corded saws so they work better in tight spaces.
They work best cutting wood because of their battery limitations. And they can also cut tougher materials, but that will drain the batteries faster. These saws usually vary in size from 5-3/8 to 6-1/2 inches.
Corded circular saws are available in a lot of different sizes with 7 ¼ inch the most common. Since they don’t depend on a battery, they can be used for all types of jobs like steel, masonry, and continuous woodcutting.
- Power is measure by amp on corded saws, and by volts on cordless saws. The higher the amps and volts, the more possible cutting power the saw has.
- Blade capacity lets you know how deep a cut a saw can make. So, if you want a deeper cut, you need a larger blade. 7-1/4 inches is the most common blade diameter, with most saws using a blade capacity of 6 inches or more that can cut through 2 inch dimensional piece of wood at a 45 degree angle in a single pass. Keep in mind that saws with smaller blade capacities will weigh less, and they are easier to control.
- Electric brakes will reverse the electricity flow of the saw motor when you release the trigger. By reversing the current, the momentum of the blade will stop quickly, which is a lot faster than a saw without electric brakes.
- Spindle or shaft locks will make it simpler to change out the saw blade by immobilizing both the shaft and the blade.
- Bevel capacity shows you the highest bevel saw that a saw can achieve.
- Quick adjustments can be made for bevel cuts with present bevel stops.
- Laser guides can be helpful in getting better cutting accuracy by projecting illuminating light onto the wood.
Different circular saws blades are used for different jobs. When you buy a blade, make sure that it works with your particular saw.
High-speed steel blades - These blades are harder than a steel blade, and can stay sharper longer.
Carbide-tipped blades – These blades have carbide tips that are attached to their teeth, and are more expensive than the other types of blades. They also stay sharper longer than the high-speed or steel blades.
Tile-cutting blades - These blades are specifically for cutting ceramic tiles, and the better tile-cutting blades will comes with diamond-tipped blades.
Masonry blades - These are made of an course material for cutting cinder block, brick, concrete, and other masonry materials.
The Best Corded Circular Saw
Here's a brief summary of the top corded circular saws on the market today. We'll follow up with detailed corded circular saw reviews to make your decision easier.
Milwaukee 6390-21 7-1/4-Inch 15 Amp Tilt-Lok Circular Saw
The Milwaukee 6390-21 7-1/4-Inch 15 Amp Tilt-Lok Circular Saw is a 7/14 inch circular saw that is durable and easy to use. It has a 15 amp motor that features 3.25 horsepower, plus a Tilt-Loc handle that provides comfort, and control while you are working.
Makita 5007MG Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw
The Makita 5007MG Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw is also a 7 ¼ inch circular saw with a 15 amp motor that provides 5,800 RPMs. It has fast and easy blade changes, plus an attached LED light and dust blower making it easier to see for more accurate cuts making it a great choice for professionals.
DeWalt DWE575SB 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Circular Saw with Electric Brake
Another great choice for professionals is the DeWalt DWE575SB 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Circular Saw with Electric Brake is also a 7 ¼ inch circular saw, and it is the only one on the list with an electric brake for safety. It’s also a lightweight saw that has easy portability, and comes with a blade wrench to make changing the blade convenient and easy.
Skil 5690-02 15 Amp 7-1/4-Inch Skilsaw Circular Saw with Laser
A great choice for DIYers is the Skil 5690-02 15 Amp 7-1/4-Inch Skilsaw Circular Saw with Laser. This is another 7 ¼ circular saw that is easy to use, and has several safety features including a safety lock, an anti-snag lower guard, and a power-on indicator.
Bosch CS10 7-1/4-Inch 15 Amp Circular Saw
The Bosch CS10 7-1/4-Inch 15 Amp Circular Saw is our last 7 ¼ inch saw that also has a 15 amp motor, and weighs 10.3 pounds making it easy to use and control. It provides a great view for precise cuts, and includes a comfortable grip handle, and a blower to control dust making it a very user-friendly tool.
Top Corded Circular Saw Reviews
The Milwaukee 6390-21 7-1/4-Inch 15 Amp Tilt-Lok Circular Saw is an easy to use and durable product. This 7 ¼ inch circular saw is powered by a 15 amp with a 3.25 horsepower motor. It’s a smooth starter, cuts wood evenly, and easily handles any material you want it to cut.
It is lightweight with an eight position Tilt-Loc handle that gives you optimal comfort and control of any job you are working on. It also includes a one-touch spindle lock button that makes changing blades super easy. The Milwaukee 6390 features easy access depth, and simple bevel adjustments with a full 50-degree bevel capacity. Plus a clear line of sight that makes it incredible simple to get accurate cuts each time you use it.
Features include the following:
- Durable and easy to use
- Includes a 15-amp, 5,800 rpm, and 3-1/4-horsepower motor, plus a spindle lock and quick-lock cord
- Has a locking, tilting main handle that adjusts for comfort
- Includes an aircraft aluminum shoe, plus a soft-grip handle
- Quiet motor that's also powerful and cuts easily
- Glides nicely for straight cuts
- Surprisingly quiet and smooth to operate
- Cord isn't grounded
- Has to be placed to lowest angle setting to fit in case
- Have to hold it with both hands because of the kickback
The Makita 5007MG Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw includes magnesium components that make this lightweight saw well-balanced, and tough on the jobsite. It has a powerful 15 amp motor that gives you enough power to cut through the densest piece of lumber.
With large cutting and bevel capacities, the Makita 5007MG has positive stops at 22.5 and 45, an attached LED light, and a dust blower that illuminates the line of cut for better accurate cuts. It also includes easy-to-read numbers and ruler markings that let users follow measurements accurately.
For fast and convenient blade changes, the blade wrench is attached to the saw. The Makita 5007MG also includes a reinforced power cord that can withstand abuse on the jobsite.
It’s a perfect saw for professionals including roofers, framers, and carpenters who cut engineered, dimensional and wet lumber. Included with the Makita 5007MG is a carbide tipped blade, rip fence, blade wrench, and plastic case.
Features include the following:
- Includes magnesium components that create a well-balanced lightweight saw that is tough enough for a jobsite
- Has a powerful 15.0 AMP motor that provides 5,800 RPM that is durable enough for the jobsite with proven performance
- Includes two built-in L.E.D. lights that provide increased accuracy with an illuminated line of cut
- Has a large cutting capacity (2-1/2" at 90°) plus a bevel capacity (0°-56°) with positive stops at 22.5°and 45°
- Includes a one year warranty
- Plenty of power and it's smooth while accurate
- Auto stops on the most common bevels
- Easy to use adjustments all around
- It would be nice if the case it comes with was a bit better made
- Motor is weak when cutting thick and heavy material
- Allen wrench for saw blade is akward
The DeWalt DWE575SB 7-1/4-inch is a lightweight circular saw that includes an electric brake that was created to be the lightest, and well-balanced saw on the market. At only 8.8 pounds, the electric brake can stop the blade once the trigger is released.
It has a durable design with a ball bearing lower guard that uses smooth retraction to protect against dust contamination, plus a durable, high grade stamped aluminum shoe that gives you a smooth base for accurate cuts. It also includes advanced lower guard geometry for your bevel cuts that contains an integrated dust blower, so you can clear the line of site while you are cutting for better accuracy.
An on board blade wrench storage provides you ease and convenience, and a patented tough cord protection system gives you three times the protection against cord pull-out. Easy portability is provided by the convenient carrying case.
The DeWalt DWE575SB gives you plenty of power for your toughest jobs with 1,950 Max Watts Out (MWO) and 5,100 revolutions per minute (RPM). It’s the perfect saw for professionals including framers, general contractors, concrete formers, and remodelers who take on jobs including cutting plywood, framing walls, exterior finishing, and siding.
The DeWalt DWE575SB provides a 57-degree bevel capacity, with 22.5- and 45-degree detents, and a depth of cut capacity of 2 9/16 inch, which can handle a wide range of jobs.
Features include the following:
- Easy to use
- Is lightweight, and compact at 8.8-Pound
- Includes an electric brake
- Has a patented 15-Amp motor
- Includes a 57-Degree beveling capacity that has positive stops at 45-Degree and 22.5-Degree
- Includes an integrated dust blower
- Great for professionals
- It cuts like butter
- Great quality and comfortable to use
- Blade isn't parallel to base
- Blade isn't straight so all the cuts aren't even
- Blade wobbles
The Skil 5690-02 15 Amp 7-1/4-Inch Skilsaw Circular Saw with Laser is a7-1/4" Circle Saw/Laser that is easy to use. It’s an upgraded SKIL 5680-02 7-1/4-Inch circular saw whose latest SKILSAW design is perfect for DIYers. The 5680-02 SKILSAW has a 51 Degree bevel with a positive stop at 45 Degrees for better accuracy, and wide variety of cuts.
It has a Laser Cutline Guide that gives you accurate cuts, and a wide foot plate that gives you stability when you are cutting, so you make less mistakes, and lets you get the cut right the first time. It includes other features such as a power-on indicator, safety lock/guarded trigger, and an anti-snag lower guard which increases your safety while using the saw.
Using over 85 years of engineering experience, the new SKIL 5680-02 has all the qualities a DIYer needs to make great projects.
Features include the following:
- Easy to use
- Includes a laser cutline guide for precise cuts
- Has a 51 degree bevel adjust w/positive stop at 45 degree for increased accuracy
- A Power-On Indicator lets you know when you tool is plugged in
- A Safety Lock / Guarded Trigger decreases accidental starts
- A wide foot plate increases stability when you are cutting
- It's ergonomic and has a great laser guide
- Comfortable to use and comes with a great bag
- Changing blades is easy and quick
- It's a bit heavy and loud
- Cord is too short
- Doesn't include a blade wrench
The Bosch CS10 7-1/4-Inch 15 Amp Circular Saw has a powerful 15-amp with a high output motor. The Bosch's 7-1/4" Circular Saw provides quick, smooth cuts at a wide range of angles. An advanced, stable composite footplate means better precision accuracy.
It weighs only 10.3 lbs., so the Bosch CS10 is easy to control, as well as comfortable to use. With an unobstructed view of the cut line, the Bosch CS10 gives you better visibility for exact cuts. It has a soft grip handle for additional comfort, plus a blower for better dust control making the Bosch CS10 a very user-friendly tool.
The Bosch CS10 also includes a 56-degree bevel capacity, as well as positive detents at 22.5 and 46 degrees for working on various jobs. It includes a 24-tooth carbide blade, plus a tool wrench, and a job site tool bag.
Features include the following:
- Includes a powerful 15-amp motor that makes fast and smooth cuts
- Has an adjustable bevel lever and a depth lever that gives you a wide range of cut angles
- Has unobstructed cut line for increased visibility, and better precision accuracy
- Includes a durable, high strength composite footplate for safety
- Includes an ergonomic handle that provides comfort and control
- Great saw for the price
- Sturdy and easy to use for most of your projects
- Saw has a lot of power and includes a blade wrench
- Saw flexes with any weight applied to the handle or the alternate grip
- It's a left handle saw which was not what was advertised
- Too much play in the front attachment of the base to the saw body
What is the Best Circular Saw to Buy?
The winner of the best corded circular saw roundup is the Makita 5007MG Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw. It is made of magnesium components that make it a lightweight saw that is also well-balanced, and tough enough to be on the job site.
It comes with a 15 amp motor, and has large cutting and bevel capacities with positive stops at 22.5 and 45. It comes with an attached dust blower, and LED light that lights up the cutting line to help you make more precise cuts. Plus it includes easy-to-read numbers and ruler markings that let you follow the measurements more accurately.
The clear winner of the best corded circular saw roundup is definitely the Makita Circular Saw.